Medical Billing Clerk
Responsible for submitting claims by paper or electronically to insurance carriers, including following up with insurance carriers on unpaid or rejected claims and patient billing issues. This position is responsible for weekly reporting to the Billing Manager the status of accounts.
- Submit claims by paper or electronically to insurance carriers.
- Follow up with Insurance carriers on unpaid or rejected claims.
- Submit appeals for unpaid and denied claims.
- Handle collections on unpaid accounts.
- May at times perform collections for past due accounts.
- Answer patient calls and inquires on accounts and charges.
- Report status of accounts on a weekly basis to Billing Manager, as well as keep the Billing Manager informed as needed to upcoming issues.
- Other duties as assigned
- 2+ years of insurance billing in a medical office setting
- Experience with Workers Compensation a MUST
- Basic understanding of ICD 9; ICD 10 diagnoses and CPT medical codes
- Strong knowledge of Medical Insurance reimbursement process
- Familiarity with HIPPA regulations and privacy requirements for patient information
- Familiarity with billing software
- Orthopeadic billing experience preferred
- High School Diploma or GED (minimum)