EVENING SHIFT SUPERVISOR
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values-integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion-must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Supervises the activities of Central Sterile Supply Assistants, Technician IIs, Technician Is, and Inventory Associates engaged in decontaminating, assembling, sterilizing, wrapping, dispensing and preparing of case carts and other supplies for the operating room and other patient care areas and the management of an extensive inventory of complex specialty instrumentation. Schedules, assigns, and supervises the daily flow of work through the department and interacts with surgeons, OR staff, vendors and other customers in the provision of accurate efficient and high quality services., Is responsible for all CSS Supply inventory control, ordering and receipt systems, computerized instrument kit counts sheets for the OR, DS, Labor & Delivery and CSS. Performs the duties of a buyer for the purchasing of instrumentation and supplies for CSS.
- 1. ADMINISTRATIVE AND OPERATIONAL
- 1.1 Responsible for the on-going development and revision of department policies and procedures governing all facets of CSS operations with specific emphasis on those required by regulatory agencies.
- 2. STAFF SCHEDULING AND BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY
- 2.1 Develops staffing practices reflective of the changing needs of customer areas. Maintains posted schedule at all times replacing old schedule with a new schedule one week in advance.
- 3. TRAINING AND PERFORMANCE ASSESSMENT
- 3.1 In conjunction with professional organizations, develops internal and external programs that qualify for Contact Education Units (CEU's) in order to satisfy certification requirements for the staff of certified Techs.
- 4. EMPLOYEE RELATIONS
- 4.1 Provides documentation and investigation of all incidents of incomplete or incorrect performance.
- 5. MATERIALS COORDINATION
- 5.1 Oversees the performance of the daily inventory of all OR Case Cart supplies, working with the Supply Inventory Associate to ensure the uninterrupted flow of Case Cart Supplies to the OR.
Graduation from high school with Associate, B.S. or B.A. college degree in Arts or Science preferably in a health care related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Certification as an OR Technician, LPN Scrub Nurse, or NICHSPDP certification. Demonstrated knowledge of AAMI, EPA, OSHA and other regulatory requirements and standards of practice governing a CSS operation.
Minimum of two (2) years supervisory experience in a Central Sterile Supply or OR environment with extensive knowledge of instrumentation, OR medical and surgical supplies and OR/CSS operations. Experience with new sterilization technologies is preferred.
Interaction and development of relationships with surgeons and staff of all levels, independent decision making, sensitivity to organizational structures within the OR and ability to function independently in critical situations. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Working knowledge of computer software (spreadsheets, word processing, case scheduling) and experience in the management of an extensive inventory of complex surgical instrumentation. Must be knowledgeable of materials management systems including inventory, ordering and utilization monitoring and reporting.
Yale New Haven Hospital is a destination hospital for patients from around the corner, around the country, and around the world. As a Magnet-recognized*, tertiary medical center, with 1,500+ beds, we are the 4th largest hospital in the country, with two acute care campuses and three emergency departments, including a Level I trauma center. We're ranked as one of "America's Best Hospitals" by U.S. News & World Report, which is a testament to the unrivaled expertise, compassion and character of our staff, and as the primary teaching facility for Yale Schools of Medicine and Nursing, we are nationally recognized for our commitment to teaching and clinical research.
Located on the Connecticut shoreline, Yale New Haven Hospital includes Smilow Cancer Hospital at Yale New Haven, Yale New Haven Children's Hospital and Yale New Haven Psychiatric Hospital.
*Yale New Haven Hospital's York Street campus and associated ambulatory sites are Magnet-designated by the ANCC.