To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values-integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion-must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Abstracts by collecting, summarizing, and coding detailed demographic and clinical oncology information from a variety of internal and external (paper and electronic) data sources in accordance with reporting requirements of the Connecticut Tumor Registry and data standards for the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer accreditation on all reportable cases. Performs other duties as requested by manager.
- 1. Collects, summarizes and abstracts clinical oncology information from a variety of internal and external (paper and electronic) medical data sources directly into tumor registry software system and/or associated databases according to established procedures. Reviews the finalized record for errors and completeness and submits for quality review by the Senior Medical Abstractor or Manager
- 1.1 At least five patient records per day must be abstracted and entered into the computer and edit checked successfully in order to achieve the minimum standard.
- 2. Maintains lifetime follow-up data on each tumor registry patient as required at specified points by the Connecticut Tumor Registry and teh American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer
- 2.1 Complete follow-up data including vital status and disease status on each patient record abstracted.
- 3. Assists in special studies and or other assignments requested by the Connecticut Tumor Registry and/or the Commission on Cancer and/or by the managers
- 3.1 Complete accurate data are submitted by the established deadline for each special study in which the facility is requested to participate.
- 4. Maintain and monitor security and confidentiality of patient information.
- 4.1 Will report information about patients in accordance with Yale New Haven Hospital Policy, Connecticut Law and HIPAA privacy rule. Confidentiality will be adhered to when mailing, faxing or discussing cases over the telephone and an accounting of disclosure for any protected health information will be documented in the tumor registry software when necessary.
- 5. Ensures accuracy and quality of data and participates in data quality review as needed by developing and maintaining knowledge of SEER and CoC data standards and coding instructions used to describe all reportable cases in the tumor registry.
- 5.1 Attend and/or participate in tumor boards, at least monthly.
Two (2) years of college or equivalent experience supplemented by courses in medical terminology and anatomy-physiology required. Certifed Tumor Registrar required.
Two years experience in medical abstracting and/or experience in tumor registry or equivalent. Knowledge of oncology disease process, anatomy/physiology, pathology and medical terminology is required. Exeperience in using Elekta IMPAC's METRIQ or similiar tumor registry software system. Knwoledge of International Classification of Diseases for Oncology (ICD-O), American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) Staging Manual, Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results (SEER), and teh Facility Oncology Registry Data Standards (FORDS) of the Commission on Cancer is preferred.
Intermediate to advanced keyboarding/data entry skills; intermediate to advance skills using Windows-based software (e.g. Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, and Power Point preferred). Must have excellent organizational skills and investigative analytic skills with detail orientation.
No special conditions
THIS CAN BE A REMOTE POSITION.
Yale New Haven Hospital is a destination hospital for patients from around the corner, around the country, and around the world. As a Magnet-recognized*, tertiary medical center, with 1,500+ beds, we are the 4th largest hospital in the country, with two acute care campuses and three emergency departments, including a Level I trauma center. We're ranked as one of "America's Best Hospitals" by U.S. News & World Report, which is a testament to the unrivaled expertise, compassion and character of our staff, and as the primary teaching facility for Yale Schools of Medicine and Nursing, we are nationally recognized for our commitment to teaching and clinical research.
Located on the Connecticut shoreline, Yale New Haven Hospital includes Smilow Cancer Hospital at Yale New Haven, Yale New Haven Children's Hospital and Yale New Haven Psychiatric Hospital.
*Yale New Haven Hospital's York Street campus and associated ambulatory sites are Magnet-designated by the ANCC.