ScottB Zip- New Product Development (NPD) Engineer
Design and implement new product development, product improvement, cost reduction and product issue resolution efforts for Food Packaging containers. Will maintain ownership of the design and development of the products from initial drawings, through documentation, iteration development, testing, customer acceptance and commercialization.
Essential Function/Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function/duty satisfactorily. Other duties/functions may be added or assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Be the Core Team Member of Product Development Process (PDP) projects, leading all requirements around Product Design.
- Generate, initiate and complete new product, product improvement and cost reduction ideas based on Market needs.
- Work closely with Process Engineering and Tooling Engineering to develop the product that meets Design Input Requirements.
- Initiate and complete Engineering Change Requests and Product Change Proposal.
- Create 2d and 3d drawings using Solidworks for products, and occasionally for prototype tooling.
- Generate new and creative ideas for future product designs.
- Work with Design Quality to create test plans and support analysis of data thereafter.
- Conduct design reviews with stake holders to ensure product design meets DFM, DFT & DFA requirements.
- Select material and process with guidance from Process and Tooling Engineering.
- Participate in FMEAs.
- Create presentations with high graphical appeal to convey key product features to present to customers.
- Support product Item Qualifications and Commercializations at production facilities.
- Provide creative attributes and produce product renderings to support Marketing feedback
- Ensure all CTQs are defined and delivered by the RD&E team.
- Coordinate new RP and hard tooling prototype projects through the Mold Shop to meet target timelines.
- Use Operational Excellence tools (DOE, Gage RR, Hypothesis Testing, FMEAs, etc.) to increase product development speed.
- Follow common Engineering standards and procedures.
Required knowledge and skills
- Skilled in 3D solid modeling software; Solidworks experience is required.
- Specific knowledge of product design for thermoforming is preferred.
- Knowledge of FEA, interference and collision detection.
- Knowledge of rapid prototyping is a plus.
- Logical analytic problem solving skills.
- New Product Development experience.
- Stage Gate Process experience.
- Lean Six Sigma tools.
- Good communication skills.
- Pattern/machine shop experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of manufacturing environment involving plastic processes.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, flexible environment.
Product Safety and Quality
- Follows Product Safety and Quality standards.
- Follows FDA GMP's in regards to food contact packaging as it pertains to the employee.
- Practices safe work habits and follows general safety procedures such as proper lifting and bending, ergonomics, proper use of equipment and use of personal protection equipment (PPE).
- Practices good housekeeping including clutter-free work area and general cleaning; follows FDA product safety standards, follows IPC product defense standards and complies with all SQF requirements.
- Ensures lockout procedures are followed any time the equipment is being cleaned or maintained.
The list below represents the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience - Industrial Design, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent engineering/science degree is required, along with at least 3-5 years' experience. Fluency in dimensioning Product Design drawings. Solidworks experience is a requirement. Lean Six Sigma Black Belt or Green Belt certification preferred.
- Language Skills - English speaking. The ability to read, analyze, and interpret scientific and technical journals, financial reports. The ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or board of directors.
- Mathematical Skills - Ability to comprehend and apply principles of statistical theory.
- Reasoning Ability - Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form, and comprehend abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand and sit.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Company Description For more than 45 years, we have been innovating, growing and bringing to market the best in crystal clear, 100% recyclable PET clamshell and two-piece packaging. Our products are designed to attractively merchandise products from the produce, deli, bakery, grocery, convenience store and food service industries. From our groundbreaking Safe-T-Fresh?? line to our latest Crystal Fresh?? line, we create innovative, award winning packaging that meets any need.