Small Business Advisor
Business Coaching and Advising
1. Builds rapport with clients to maximize compliance with borrower obligations and openness to acceptance of business advice.
2. Investigates, diagnoses or researches business problems and opportunities to identify paths to improved results.
3. Coaches clients on matters of leadership, accountability, action planning, idea generation, motivation, implementation, follow-up, time management, vision, management of emotional components of business ownership, etc.
4. Provides technical advisory services on best practices in business management, marketing, accounting/financial controls and other topics.
5. Summarizes findings and details of client meetings in writing for organization's files.
Borrower Relationship Management
1. Monitors financial condition of clients through review of financial statements and/or dialog about business conditions, sales trends, problems, etc. Reports risks to CEDF management.
2. Administers loan draws by clients: executes internal documentation to initiate payments, generates consensus approval with CEDF management, monitors draw deadlines and pay down requirements.
3. Monitors and ensures periodic submission of documents by clients to maintain loan compliance: tax returns, financial statements, evidence of insurance, etc.
4. Collaborates with Asset Management Dept. to oversee timely payment of loans or fees, and assists with collection of delinquent amounts; provides early intervention regarding client payment issues to reduce chronic problems. Implements special consulting assistance.
5. Coordinates interaction with Lending Department when opportunities for new lending emerge.
Assess and identify the professional development needs of borrowers in collaboration with Business Education Department.
EXPERIENCE AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS DESIRED:
- Preference given to candidates with five or more years of small business ownership. If no small business ownership, five or more years of financial and operations management of a small business or similarly-sized business department will be considered.
- Extensive knowledge of related management processes, typical administrative procedures, bookkeeping and financial reporting, and sales and marketing approaches.
- Ability to effectively apply personal business experience to a wide variety of industries and situations.
- Ability to quickly and accurately identify problems and devise viable strategies to improve business operations.
- Excellent, articulate, personable and diplomatic customer service skills. Demonstrated outstanding customer service attitude and the proven ability to relate to people from various backgrounds.
- Superior time management skills: Schedule and efficiently coordinate monthly meetings with an assigned group of clients
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel and ability to learn new software. QuickBooks experience helpful.
- Access to a vehicle and a current driver's license. This position will require you to travel throughout the state. Estimated travel time is 75+% of position.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Preference given to bilingual (Spanish) candidates
- Ability to lift a minimum of 25 pounds.
This job description is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of the responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the position of Small Business Advisor. Other duties may be assigned as neededCompany Description The mission of the Community Economic Development Fund Foundation (CEDF) is to strengthen neighborhood economies by providing flexible financing and technical support to businesses, community organizations and initiatives in communities throughout Connecticut. We help to stabilize and grow small businesses so individuals can realize their dreams, families can celebrate increased financial independence, and communities can prosper.
CEDF is a state-wide non-profit 501c3 organization serving low-to-moderate income small business owners and small businesses in under-served communities regardless of income, which cannot acquire loan capital from traditional lending institutions. We offer educational and advisory support to all of our clients, so CEDF loan recipients (along with non-recipient entrepreneurs in the community) are equipped with the guidance they need to foster small business growth.A Small Business Advisor serves our borrowers as a liaison to the organization, and as coach and advisor to improve the results of the client businesses while monitoring performance to reduce risk of loan default for CEDF. They work collaboratively with all departments in meeting the needs of clients, the entrepreneurial and small business community and the organization.
EXCELLENT BENEFITS AND WORK SCHEDULE