APRN/PA - PSYCHIATRIC SERVICES - PART TIME
The primary functions of the Nurse Practitioner will be to provide medical care to psychiatric inpatients at Yale-New Haven Hospital and to collaborate with others in providing such care.
In collaboration with the interdisciplinary team, the Nurse Practitioner will provide continuity of care to patients in the inpatient settings to achieve optimal patient outcomes and patient satisfaction.
- 1. Clinical Practice
- 1.1 1.1. Assumes primary patient care responsibility for patients in collaboration with the Attendings.
1. 2. Identifies health care needs and assesses health status of patient/family during inpatient hospitalization and subsequent outpatient care follow-up if appropriate. Monitors patients across the health care continuum and develops strategies to avoid hospitalization and/or decrease length of stay.
1.3. Prescreens patients, obtains comprehensive health complete histories, and performs complete physical exams during treatment hospitalization and in visits.
1.4. Identifies and collaborates with the specialty interdisciplinary team in the design of patient treatment plans.
1.5. Communicates patient status information, attends daily rounds, and documents progress in the Medical Record.
1.6. Enters admission orders, orders appropriate tests and therapy; interprets results and outcomes; discusses appropriate interventions with the physicians.
1.7. In collaboration with the Interdisciplinary team, provides continuity of care to patients in the inpatient setting to achieve optimal patient outcomes and patient satisfaction.
1.8. Educates patients about treatment plans and medications and other patient care activities as directed by the Medical Director.
1.9. Evaluates the patient with regard to discharge status. Communicates patient's treatment plans to referring physicians.
1.10. Participate in Quality Improvement Activities
- 2. Education
- 2.1 2.1. Identifies learning needs of team members, patients and families. Provides bedside teaching
and supervision of procedures.
2.2. Acts as a clinical resource for residents and fellows, and as a role model/preceptor for nurses
and advanced practice nursing students. Maximizes opportunities in the clinical setting for
informal education of staff, patients, and families.
2.3. Lectures at conferences and seminars for health care professionals.
- 3. Research
- 3.1 3. 1. May support the research mission through collaboration with investigators and protocol
3. 2. May promote research utilization through the dissemination of existing and new research
findings in the clinical practice setting.
3. 3 May promote specialty clinical trials, both in-house and through cooperative groups.
MSN required. Graduate of Nurse Practitioner Program.
Minimum of one (1) year experience as a Nurse Practitioner preferred.
Eligible for Yale-New Haven Hospital Medical Staff and Northeast Medical Group privileges.
Current Connecticut APRN license (or eligible).
1. Uses effective listening, nonverbal, explanatory, interviewing and writing skills to elicit and provide information.
2. Well developed diagnostic and prescriptive ability.
3. Knowledge of state, federal, hospital and universityy regulations related to administering medications and maintaining appropriate medical records.
4. Collaborates wiht the multidisciplinary team, patient, family and caregivers to formulate comprehensive plan of care for mental health patients, including appropriate education about recovery and rehabilitation.
5. Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with all members of the interdisciplinary team.
6. Experience with electronic health record preferred. Computer skills required.
Exposure to biohazards, blood and body fluids. Prolonged standing , walking and lifting required.