ScottB Zip- Process Engineer RDE Thermoforming Plastic Containers
INLINE PLASTICS CORP.
Position: RD&E Process Engineering Manager
Pay Grade: E-8
Original Date: December 23, 2016
The RD&E Process Engineering Manager is responsible for the development and enhancement of prototype manufacturing processes utilizing thermoforming contact-heat and pre-heat machines (OMG-Lyle-GN) to insure a smooth transition of new products/processes to production. This involves using scientific tools/approaches to investigate, develop, and document the process parameters, provide hands on advanced level process troubleshooting and also the collection and analysis of data. This role will also identify areas of improvement, implement processing improvement efforts, and suggest design changes that could increase the overall process windows for transfer to production. The Process Engineer has direct reports, and will build a small prototype production team that maximizes the usage of the machines for development across multiple shifts, and reports to the Research, Development, & Engineering (RD&E) Manager.
Essential Function/Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential functions/duties satisfactorily. Other duties/functions may be added or assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
?? "Hands-on" position that plans, directs, and coordinates prototype manufacturing processes and equipment to produce high quality new products
?? Monitors the effectiveness of processes; quantifies results, documents and presents findings to management and prepares reports
?? Troubleshoots complex/critical processes or equipment using 6-Sigma statistical tools (DOEs, Process Capability, Sampling, Hypothesis testing, etc); includes data collection and analysis from development process runs; transforms the data to product specifications which includes CTQs
?? Operates independently to define processing parameters and recipe development for new products
?? Attends Design Review meetings as part of the to provide insight and expertise in regard to the process and tool design, capability and part handling
?? Manages, mentors, and provides training to process technician and operators
?? Works with manufacturing to scale up process from RD&E to production
?? Initiates and implements cost improvement plans on new and existing programs
?? Identifies factors that negatively affect cycle time and work towards resolving such problems
?? Provides RD&E team with process information and analysis tools
?? Monitors condition of equipment and tooling and notifies management about areas that need attention
?? Maintains an SQF compliant prototype production area (neat, safe and clean environment); implements systems and procedures that assure compliance with SQF Quality Standards
?? Work with internal and external suppliers/partners for problem resolution to identify and execute improvements
?? Keeps up to date on thermoforming equipment and process technology
?? Must be able to 'dial in' processes to achieve product specifications
?? Must have knowledge and ability to setup form, trim, and scoring presses and install tooling
?? Keeps record of pertinent process variables for the purpose of benchmarking and improving the process
?? Coordinates with Quality to ensure product quality
?? Must be able to work a flexible schedule across various shifts - team will cover 2 shifts
Product Safety and Quality
- Follows Product Safety and Quality standards
- Follows FDA GMP's in regards to food contact packaging as it pertains to the employee
- Practices safe work habits and follows general safety procedures such as proper lifting and bending, ergonomics, proper use of equipment and use of personal protection equipment (PPE)
- Practices good housekeeping including clutter-free work area and general cleaning; follows FDA product safety standards, follows IPC product defense standards and complies with all SQF requirements
- Ensures lockout procedures are followed any time the equipment is being cleaned or maintained
- Ensures all safety procedures are strictly adhered to including that "Lock out and tag out" is strictly enforced and disciplined.
The list below represents the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience -
- Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering, Plastics Engineering or equivalent with 5 years of experience in plastic's processing, preferably thermoforming. Alternatively, 15 years of thermoforming or other type of molding experience is required. 6-Sigma certification is preferred
- Ability to manage multiple projects and establish priorities
- Prior supervisory experience preferred
- Ability to work in a fast paced, flexible environment
- Language Skills - English speaking. The ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports. The ability to effectively present information to stakeholders and management
- Technical Skills - Knowledge of robotics, automation, equipment and processes in thermoforming. Comprehensive and demonstrated knowledge of SPC, DOE, geometric tolerance and blueprint reading. Strong communication (verbal and written), teamwork and organizational skills. Strong technical skills in thermoforming, tooling, materials, product design, and affiliated processes: to include secondary operations and automation; Skilled in statistical analysis using Excel or Minitab is a plus.
- Reasoning Ability - Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. High degree of mechanical aptitude required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to climb or balance.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.