ScottB Zip - New Product Development (NPD) Engineer
Design and implement new product development, product improvement, cost reduction and product issue resolution efforts for Food Packaging containers. Will maintain ownership of the design and development of the products from initial drawings, through documentation, iteration development, testing, customer acceptance and commercialization.
Essential Function/Duties and Responsibilities
- Be the Core Team Member of Product Development Process (PDP) projects, leading all requirements around Product Design.
- Generate, initiate and complete new product, product improvement and cost reduction ideas based on Market needs.
- Work closely with Process Engineering and Tooling Engineering to develop the product that meets Design Input Requirements.
- Initiate and complete Engineering Change Requests and Product Change Proposal.
- Create 2d and 3d drawings using Solidworks for products, and occasionally for prototype tooling.
- Generate new and creative ideas for future product designs.
- Work with Design Quality to create test plans and support analysis of data thereafter.
- Conduct design reviews with stake holders to ensure product design meets DFM, DFT & DFA requirements.
- Select material and process with guidance from Process and Tooling Engineering.
- Participate in FMEAs.
- Create presentations with high graphical appeal to convey key product features to present to customers.
- Support product Item Qualifications and Commercializations at production facilities.
- Provide creative attributes and produce product renderings to support Marketing feedback
- Ensure all CTQs are defined and delivered by the RD&E team.
- Coordinate new RP and hard tooling prototype projects through the Mold Shop to meet target timelines.
- Use Operational Excellence tools (DOE, Gage RR, Hypothesis Testing, FMEAs, etc.) to increase product development speed.
- Follow common Engineering standards and procedures.
Required knowledge and skills
- Skilled in 3D solid modeling software; Solidworks experience is required.
- Knowledge of rapid prototyping is a plus.
- Logical analytic problem solving skills.
- New Product Development experience.
- Stage Gate Process experience.
- Lean Six Sigma tools.
- Good communication skills.
- Pattern/machine shop experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of manufacturing environment involving plastic processes.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, flexible environment.
- Education and/or Experience - Industrial Design, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent engineering/science degree is required, along with at least 3-5 years' experience.
- Fluency in dimensioning Product Design drawings. Solidworks experience is a requirement. Lean Six Sigma Black Belt or Green Belt certification preferred.
- Specific knowledge of product design for thermoforming is preferred.
Company Description Inline Plastics is celebrating its 50th anniversary next year. During those 50 years, we have proven to have innovation in our DNA. Starting with Safe-T-Gard tear strips that created the first tamper-resistant food container, to E-Z Open Cake containers to Hangables, Sandwich Wedges and Grab and Go Cups, Inline is a leader. We provide FDA Food contact recyclable products in extremely appealing designs and we are intent on continuing to be the leader. We even have solar panels on out Shelton Manufacturing Plant.
To service our customers, we operate three manufacturing plants, one distribution center and a Research, Development and Engineering center.
Our goal is to double our sales and we need your help. If you are a collaborative, high energy, high performing team player, we are interested in talking with you.