3 days left
- Job Board
Network Operations Technician
Under the supervision of the Manager of Network Operations, provide day to day operational support and coordination for all aspects of the Campus Data Network. Establish and maintain network performance by building network configurations and connections and troubleshooting network problems. Assist in development and maintenance of network communications. Uses knowledge of LAN / WAN / WIFI systems to help install and manage internal and external networks.
The candidate would have as many of these skills and abilities as possible;
-update/make changes to Traverse to add/remove a device along with related tests.
-rack and wire a new appliance/switch/router that could weigh up to 35 lbs
-troubleshoot network problems, creating Service Now tickets
*Understand impact and urgency of each event
*Escalate to Network Engineering when appropriate
-update documentation/maps (visio) with changes in the network topology
-use the following tools;
*Proteus to register devices, assign ip addresses, etc..
*Disconnect database to block (disable/enable) switch ports causing issues or security reasons
*Wifi mgt Airwave to troubleshoot and manage wifi devices and clients, along with Aruba network switches
*Juniper SPACE management to manage Juniper switches
*Unix server to perform network ping tests, and logging onto network infrastructure
-configure, perform routine maintenance, and troubleshoot HP, Aruba, and Juniper edge network switches
-configure, provision, and troubleshoot Aruba wifi access points
-Perform shipping and receiving. Check in new equipment. Send out failed network equipment.
-Monitor the network in order to maintain 24x7 operations and resolve service impacts as they occur.
-Work trouble tickets effectively and efficiently and that interact with engineering, Desk Top Support and telecommunications to facilitate resolving service issues in accordance with established processes and procedures.
-Document problem descriptions and detailed problem diagnosis with accuracy and compliance with established practices. Review and where necessary update the tracking of problems in trouble-ticketing system.
LAN and WAN troubleshooting skills and a solid understanding of network security.
Calm demeanor, good organizational skills, excellent communications, logical thought processes and a background in networking technologies
Can-do attitude and a hunger to learn more about networking technologies.
Work closely with all engineering groups as needed.
• Knowledge of Cisco and/or Juniper IOS network operating system.
• Knowledge of Aruba networks wireless system.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills.
• Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues and clients in the University community under pressure and against deadline.
• Knowledge and understanding of ITIL.
• Understanding of the OSI model.
IT Fields if Interest
• Computer Science
• Technical Support
• Electrical Engineering
• Desktop and Network support skills
• System administration skills
• Team player
• Working understanding of IP addressing.
• Full understanding of TCP/IP networking.
• Respond to requests for technical assistance in person, via phone, electronically.
• Diagnose and resolve technical hardware and software issues.
• Research questions using available information resources.
• Configure and support equipment to meet user needs.
• Manage network, hardware and firmware.
• Network system operations and monitoring.
• Strong PC/Desktop Support Technician who has excellent phone support skills.
• Experience in LAN, WAN, WiFi environment a plus.