ScottB Zip - Tool Room Lead/Supervisor
Tool Room Lead/Supervisor
This position requires the individual to lead and coordinate the daily activities of 3-4 associates comprised of Machinists and Programmer-Machinists. The Tool Room Lead shall support the development of new products and the RD&E development tooling schedule by performing the duties outlined below. In addition, the Tool Room Lead will generate, optimize and correct CNC programs using Mastercam software, as well as, operate tool room machinery for the purposes of fabricating components and repairing tooling.
Essential Function/Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function/duty satisfactorily. Other duties/functions may be added or assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Generates, corrects and optimizes CNC programs using Mastercam software for the machining of components made from Aluminum, Steel and other Plastic or composite materials.
- Operates milling machines, surface grinders, drill presses, CNC machining centers, etc. for the purposes of fabricating metal and non-metal parts.
- Develops fixtures and determine machining process to properly fabricate and machine components.
- Estimates time requirements for completion of job assignments and assists in the formulation and prioritization of the Tool Room schedule in order to satisfy project timelines.
- Assigns work to Tool Room personnel, oversees the work being performed and ensures the work meets tolerance and quality standards before releasing it to other departments.
- Analyzes thermoforming tool problems of immediate nature and determines best method of repair.
- Confers with Program Managers, Tooling Engineers, Process Technicians and other staff to coordinate activities of Tool Room staff in order to satisfy product development timelines.
- Schedules manpower as necessary to support development of products when running on a two shift schedule.
- Evaluates performance of Tool Room Personnel and provides training and/or development programs to improve the person's performance and/or capabilities.
- Suggests and initiates plans to motivate associates to achieve goals and trains them as required.
- Ensures the Tool Room is organized and maintained as a clean and safe environment.
- Establishes and implements a preventive maintenance schedule for Tool Room equipment in order to provide equipment readiness and reliability.
- Assists with establishing Tool Room inventory levels of end mills, cutters, drill bits and other consumable items ensuring that capital is used sparingly and that no out-of-stock situations compromise productivity.
- Interprets company policies for associates, enforces safety regulations and assists with the coaching of associates to correct performance problems.
- Builds strong relationships with RD&E staff and works in a collaborative non-confrontational manner.
- Possess good planning and organizational skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities :
- Leads up to four employees in RD&E Tool Room.
- Carries out responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Interviews and hires new employees, takes disciplinary action as necessary to correct employee performance issues.
- Develops employees for promotion opportunities.
- Develops employee training programs for the department and develops SOP's for the department's work.
Education and/or Experience:
High School diploma, General Education Degree (GED) or trade school and 7-10 years experience in machine shop environment operating manual milling machines, lathes, CNC's, surface grinders, etc. Beneficial to be a certified Tool Maker. Knowledgeable in mold making, thermoform tooling, punch and die tooling is highly desirable. Prior supervisory experience preferred.
Company Description Inline Plastics is celebrating its 50th anniversary next year. During those 50 years, we have proven to have innovation in our DNA. Starting with Safe-T-Gard tear strips that created the first tamper-resistant food container, to E-Z Open Cake containers to Hangables, Sandwich Wedges and Grab and Go Cups, Inline is a leader. We provide FDA Food contact recyclable products in extremely appealing designs and we are intent on continuing to be the leader. We even have solar panels on out Shelton Manufacturing Plant.
To service our customers, we operate three manufacturing plants, one distribution center and a Research, Development and Engineering center.
Our goal is to double our sales and we need your help. If you are a collaborative, high energy, high performing team player, we are interested in talking with you.