ScottB Zip- Sr. Tooling Engineer
Sr. Tooling Engineer
The candidate will be responsible for complete ownership of tool engineering activities relating to new product development, production tool design through commercialization.
Duties also include activities focusing on the company and departmental objectives with respect to increasing revenue, cost reduction and improved quality.
Essential Function/Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function/duty satisfactorily. Other duties/functions may be added or assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Determine tooling strategy for new products and product line extensions by evaluating current development and production tooling assets.
- Determine layout, cavitation, size, specifications and cost for tools that will be used on different thermoforming lines based on sales/production volume and available capacity.
- Collaborate with Program Managers, Production Control Managers, Tooling Suppliers and Process Engineers to minimize delays with respect to delivery of development or production tools or commercialization of new products or product line extensions.
- Design and/or procure RD&E prototype thermoform tooling for new products concepts using company tool standards and good engineering practices
- Develop, continuously improve and maintain tool design and fabrication standards so that the highest quality tools can be procured and delivered without delay and rework.
- Manage all aspect of tooling projects to ensure timely delivery of tools that meet Inline Plastics' quality standards, as well as, keeping the tool's cost within budget.
- Collaborate with Product Design Engineers, RD&E Process Technicians, QA personnel and Tool Room personnel, during the development of new products, from concept to commercialization to resolve tool design issues that relate to product thermoforming issues, tool reliability or fabrication issues.
- Develop tool specifications, RFQ's, evaluate quotes and select manufacturer for production tooling projects.
- Work with Sustaining Tooling Engineers to implement long-term improvements tool designs.
- Work with internal and external tool manufacturers to drive quality, cost reduction and lead time reduction.
- Assist with the formulation of project timelines and participate in weekly project meetings to provide the status on development or production tooling efforts.
- Work with Quality Assurance to design and develop QA gauges and fixtures for new and existing products as needed.
- Adhere to Tool Design File Management Structure procedures and resolve any errors, inconsistencies or redundancies with new or legacy data.
- Develop new procedures, check lists specifications and documentation to resolve and eliminate recurring mistakes that affect tooling configuration accuracy, performance and quality.
- Knowledgeable with the thermoforming and trimming processes and different thermoforming machinery and it relates to tool design and performance.
- As time permits and per the assignment by the RD&E Tooling Manager, support sustaining tooling efforts that include resolution of production tooling issues that affect manufacturing performance, tool reliability or product quality. Formulation and incorporation of ECO's, correction of production tooling file structure, accuracy and completeness.
- Participate in the implementation of Product Data Management software / system.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required knowledge and skills:
- Skilled in 3D solid modeling software, Solidworks experience is a plus
- Specific knowledge of product and tool design for thermoforming is required. Knowledge of injection molding tooling/process is a plus
- Strong problem solving skills with good mechanical aptitude
- Tool making or machine shop experience is preferred
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Knowledge of manufacturing environment involving plastic processes
- Ability to work in a fast paced, flexible environment
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, or Manufacturing Engineering with 10-15 years of experience designing thermoform tools. Engineering or manufacturing experience in consumer products within the plastic industry, tool making or machine shop experience is beneficial.
Company Description Inline Plastics is celebrating its 50th anniversary next year. During those 50 years, we have proven to have innovation in our DNA. Starting with Safe-T-Gard tear strips that created the first tamper-resistant food container, to E-Z Open Cake containers to Hangables, Sandwich Wedges and Grab and Go Cups, Inline is a leader. We provide FDA Food contact recyclable products in extremely appealing designs and we are intent on continuing to be the leader. We even have solar panels on out Shelton Manufacturing Plant.
To service our customers, we operate three manufacturing plants, one distribution center and a Research, Development and Engineering center.
Our goal is to double our sales and we need your help. If you are a collaborative, high energy, high performing team player, we are interested in talking with you.