The Compound Management business unit of Evotec, a drug discovery solutions international organization, offers a range of services to help organizations build, grow, and/or manage small molecule collections to the highest quality in support of high throughput biological screening. Our facility is home to sample collections owned by governmental, not-for-profit, and commercial organizations. Our experience managing the U.S NIH's Molecular Libraries Small Molecule Repository as well as sample collections owned by academic and commercial organizations allows us to deliver optimal solutions for this critical function.
Evotec is seeking a candidate for the role of Data Engineer to support the Compound Management facility in Branford, Connecticut. The role may be adapted to the skills of the applicant. The key aspects of the role include: managing and maintaining data about the compounds we store, data mining, providing large data reports for our clients, building workflows (using KNIME) to support data import and export. There will also be opportunities to contribute to the development of the software used by clients to access their collections as well as wider software initiatives across the business.
The position requires a highly motivated individual with good attention to detail and a willingness to learn new techniques in data management and / or software development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Data management of compound data:
- Preparing data from suppliers and clients to import into the system;
- Providing day to day support (in conjunction with colleagues from other CM sites) for the inventory databases;
- Liaise with Operations and Suppliers about problems with the data stored about the compounds;
- Develop workflows and SQL scripts as required by the business to import and export data for Operations and our Clients;
- Preparing SQL scripts to validate data and ensure data consistency, correcting data where necessary;
- Document processes and improvements to the system;
- Support directly or indirectly the software developers creating the interfaces (web and web service) and support the testing of these systems.
- Develop and use KNIME workflows, SQL and other tools to support repeatable loading and export of data in support of the compound management function.
- Support the implementation of software and system upgrades and provide support for servers and instrument software related to inventory system.
- Interact with colleagues from Evotec Project Management, Operations, Software Development, Accounting departments and other Compound Management facilities, to rapidly satisfy customer needs, provide sound solutions to customer issues, and solve business problems
- Provide various levels of project support (including, but not limited to, data entry, validate and confirm data for goods received, data generation and/or tracking and review) for fulfillment of client orders.
- Be the technical point of contact in client discussions and gather requirements for themselves or others to deliver the requested functionality.
- Report generation and limited end-user support
- Effective technical, communication, analytical, negotiation and teamwork skills
- Excellent project coordination
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple deadlines and associated pressures
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated attention to detail
- Relational database and SQL experience
- Use of workflow tools for data manipulation (e.g. KNIME, Pipeline Pilot)
- Experience dealing with clients
- Experience supporting software systems
- Experience working with Web Application and Web Service interfaces
- Experience with data manipulation and transformation
- Software development experience (preferably Java)
- Prior experience or education in scientific field
- Use of KNIME for data processing and report generation
- Experience of working with or supporting Titian Mosaic
- Experience of working in a compound management or inventory management environment
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office for report generation
- An awareness of organic chemistry structural representations, including stereochemistry and bond types
- An understanding of chemical databases, structure drawing, and structure manipulation software (e.g. ChemAxon, Cambridgesoft, Biovia)
Education and experience:
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology or in a related life science with technical database or software development experience, or equivalent biotech or pharma experience.
Employees must adhere to all applicable company policies and procedures. Regular and predictable attendance is required. Employees must be able to use good judgment and effectively deal with difficult situations, multiple demands and changing priorities.
Willingness and ability to work non-standard business hours, such as early mornings, occasionally on an as-needed basis is required. Some of the work will require liaising with staff at European sites (hence early mornings). Some travel may be required.